To hire permanent or contract staff …that is the question! Without quoting Hamlet, it is a dilemma that faces most companies, whether to employ staff directly or engage with subcontract workers. Many models in the construction industry suggest that subcontracting can be easier and faster than direct hiring, but every situation must be carefully analysed and assessed before making a decision. The subcontracting option does offer some flexibility and hiring someone directly will require additional effort, costs and commitment.
Pros of using contract workers
The benefits of using subcontractors are:
– Can provide the company with additional knowledge and resources
– Can free up time so that the business can concentrate on what it does best
– Typically less expensive than hiring a full-time employee (no employer’s NI, holiday pay etc.), thereby lowering overheads
– A subcontractor usually provided their own equipment/tools
– Reduces the payroll taxes and benefits being paid
– Having a service level agreement (contract) in place with the subcontractor provides further warranties on the quality of the work provided and that all relevant insurances are in place.
– Contracts can be terminated easily
– Worker can be used as required
– If using an intermediary/umbrella payroll company, assures the business is not liable for unpaid tax/NI or in breach of IR35 and Onshore Intermediary legislation.
Cons of using contract workers
– Loss of control over the quality and timeliness of work, however, this can be controlled by adding additional staff or management
– Normally follows their own rules, if not stated differently
– Performance criteria can be an issue
– Will prevent the company from developing their own staff
– Time must be spent analysing and reviewing other company’s work
We have ascertained that having a core of permanent staff provides stability and the chance for individuals to develop their skills and later seek promotion.
If your company already engages with subcontract workers/freelancer whether in the UK or abroad then the Futurelink Group have robust payment solutions to suit the needs of the company, as well as helping the individual to be as tax efficient as possible.
Please contact us on 01923 277900 or email@example.com to find out how we can help!